Draught between floorboards
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
HarryDe
Labourer
Labourer

Draught between floorboards

by HarryDe » Wed May 25, 2011 9:40 pm

Hi

We just lifted the carpet in our living room and want to polish the floor boards. How can I fill the gaps between the floorboards? I have tried 'gooey' things in the past but they just came out. I want something fairly solid but elastic that does not make a mess.

Harry

FredStark
Labourer
Labourer

Floorboard gaps

by FredStark » Thu May 26, 2011 10:31 am

I have tried a rubber profile from Draughtex. It is pushed between the floorboards with a roller type applicator which stops it being pushed too deep. It then expands in the gap and seals it really well. I was surprised how invisible it was. That was was over a year ago and nothing has shifted.
Happy!

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:19 am

you can also cut wooden fillets and ram them in with some glue.

leave slightly proud and sand smooth.

textbook says mix your sawdust from the sanding with PVA to form a paste and use that as a filler. i find this rarely works well. firstly it stains your floorboards and the varnish does not take properly. secondly it doesn't last long before it starts breaking away.

to eliminate the draughts you can lift all the floorboards and lay polypropylene sheeting. don't lift all the floorboards in one go tho - do a few rows at a time otherwise your joists may warp.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:12 pm