draughty double glazing
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
marcie
Labourer
Labourer

draughty double glazing

Post by marcie » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:10 pm

We have a lot of air coming in through our new upvc windows and doors. Not like normal draughts but breezes that can be felt some way from the windows/doors. They are so powerful that you can feel them coming across the rooms but our curtains and vertical blinds are not moving. Everything is very well sealed inside and out. Even though it's August our house is feeling cold and you can feel this air coming over you in waves from the windows when you sit even several feet from the windows. The house dowsn't have cavity wall insulation in the traditional sense but insulated blocks were used when the house was built - 16 years ago.We do know that there cavities in the walls under the windows are not closed. Any advice would really be appreciated.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: draughty double glazing

Post by welsh brickie » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:19 pm

on the window locks there are rollers these can be ajusted with an allen key to tighten the seal against the window.Spray wd40 on the rollers first.

marcie
Labourer
Labourer

Post by marcie » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:35 am

Thank you 'Welsh Brickie' We've done all that. The cams have been adjusted as tight as they can be.

Marcie

ps09844
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ps09844 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:00 pm

Hi, In relation to this, I have the same problem. Can't feel the cold air so far away, but when sleeping at night, can feel the draft.

I put it down to and not sure if I am right, but cheap UPVC double glazing. At the time of buying, several years ago, thought I was getting a great deal, from just some industrial estate glazing firm, but, having watch many programmes and read the write up from Everest Windows, I am beginning to think that the glazing itself is just cheapo glass?.

I am thinking about having the lot changed, however, just saw an add in my local paper for a firm that say they can fit new glazing, without having to take out the UPVC window housing itself.

Any ideas much appreciated.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by welsh brickie » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:35 am

I thinks thats just changing the dg glass unit.New regulations state that low E glass units (low emission) be used.
The window pvc profile has changed by becoming thicker and stronger,but the makeup is the same.If your window is draughty its because of poor fitting or just needs adjustment.
Try adjusting the rollers with an allen key,move them 90 degrees and then see if the window is tighter to close.Spray WD40 on them first.

Kimmkim
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Kimmkim » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:36 am

As my knowledge the best UPVC Windows India in Punjab.Last year i maintain ground floor all all uPVS Doors so i suggest you personally if you want to but any types of windows and doors than prefer that i recommend you.......

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:39 pm