Drill bit sizes when replacing broken drill bit
Ask questions and find answers on all aspects of tools including hand & power tools.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Beckface
Apprentice
Apprentice

Drill bit sizes when replacing broken drill bit

by Beckface » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:33 am

I have a Bosch drill bit set which I've had for years. https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-straight-hex-shank-mixed-drill-screwdriver-bit-set-50-pieces/38076

It comes with six TC masonry drill bits, but my size 6 broke.

I purchased a replacement drill bit here https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-straight-shank-masonry-drill-bit-6-x-100mm/2795v?_requestid=67746.

Unfortunately when comparing it to my existing Bosch drill bits, it is larger in diameter than the size 7 I already own (see attached photos). The Bosch case has holes in it for storing the drill bits, and the new one doesn't fit in the size 6 hole (see photo).

I don't know if this is a manufacturer issue. The size 6 one is apparently the correct size because it matches with a red rawlplug (tip from a friend), as well as the sizer which comes with the kit – unless I'm measuring from the wrong end (I'm measuring by the bottom, not the TC drill tip).

But assuming I've measured it correctly, that means that the size 7 and 6 in my existing are both wrong and it throws the rest out as well, which seems unlikely.

I've found replacement Bosch drill bits which I'm happy to purchase instead but I don't want to make a mistake sizing them. Any advice or possible explanations would be much appreciated.
Attachments
existing drill bit set.jpeg
drill bit comparison.jpeg

Shad512
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Drill bit sizes when replacing broken drill bit

by Shad512 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:55 pm

I think your issue is the shank diameter is different by manufactuer but the tip size will be correct. You would imagine that Bosch shank diameter would be the same as the original one. I have found that the length of the drill can be different also by manufacturer. Hope this helps..

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:27 pm