Drilled into cable accidentally but is it safe to leave
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DIYJC
Apprentice
Apprentice

Drilled into cable accidentally but is it safe to leave

by DIYJC » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:13 am

Earlier this evening I accidentally touched a cable whilst drilling, lights tripped off. I reset at consumer box and lights are working again; question is, is this safe to leave?

My detector wouldn't work as I was drilling in a corner.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Drilled into cable accidentally but is it safe to leave

by ericmark » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:56 pm

Of course not, you know that really. But you can use a simple repair if on inspection there is little damage.

Look at self amalgamating tape this is reasonable water proof and does not need you to cut the cables. Even a touch of silicon sealant held in place with some insulation tape will produce a repair which "requires a tool to access live parts" simple insulation tape can be removed without a tool so not permitted.

If buried any joint needs to be maintenance free you can buy maintenance free junction boxes.

I know we all make mistakes and it is tempting to fill the hole with silicon sealant but when it goes wrong it really does go wrong. The Emma Shaw case http://www.theiet.org/forums/forum/mess ... adid=57216 is the one that comes to mind. The catching of the cable by the plaster and the lack of testing by electricians would not have been a problem had the plumber not also made a mistake and the over flow tun dish failed leaking water everywhere.

If I was doing a risk assessment there is no way I would consider that sequence of events. But hind sight is great and hear you can use some one else's misfortune to avoid it ever happening to you.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:36 pm