Drilled Through an electric cable - what to do now!?!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
homewrecker
Labourer
Labourer

Drilled Through an electric cable - what to do now!?!

by homewrecker » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:59 pm

Hello everyone, I've joined up to DIY doctor because I've done something stupid.

I drilled a hole on in the wall for some shelves. I checked the wall out with one of these electric cable detectors and came up with nothing, so i thought i was good to go. Unfortunately the hole is directly above my fusebox, so i should have thought better of it instead of trusting the detector. Live and learn i guess, in this case the hard way!

Anyway, how do i go about fixing my problem? I don't even know where to start! Think the girlfriends opes of having the room ready for christmas has just gone out the window

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:17 pm

Step 1 with power off you will need to expose the cables and find out how many and what size they are.
Step 2 get some new cable to go from break to consumer unit. Also you will need a set of ratchet crimp pliers and crimps to match cable, self amalgamating tape and standard insulation tape also some earth sleeve would help. Maybe some extra so you can practise.
Step 3 join the cables with the crimps better if staggered then wrap with self amalgamating tape stretching as you go. Although this tape is water proof it is a bit soft so cover with normal installation tape.
Step 4 reconnect into consumer unit.

There are other options Hager make some special junction boxes which can be buried without any screws and you can use shrink sleeve.

Electric is dangerous and if you don’t know what you are doing it would be better to call someone in. Once completed everything should be tested and that required equipment over the cost any DIY person would want to spend.

I take the view that people will try to repair it them selves so better to tell them correct way but I would think twice before going into the consumer unit. To try to add just a little section may seem best way but in practice near impossible to work on.

Do think twice and I think you would be better calling in an electrician.
Eric

homewrecker
Labourer
Labourer

by homewrecker » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:56 pm

Thanks for the reply - in the end my dad came over to fix it for me, and earned himself a nice bottle of Brandy for his trouble.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:26 pm