DIY Doctor

drilling a hole in a bracket

Postby mountainmj » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:15 am

I have some steel shelf brackets like the ones pictured. I need to increase the size of the hole to attach to the wall. Currently it's 5mm and I need to increase the size of the hole to 6mm. I have a hand held drill and I also have a Dremel 3000.

The bracket is about 5mm thick.

What would the best thing to use to increase the size of the hole?

Thanks
Attachments
Screenshot_20200419-100738~3.jpg
mountainmj
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Gorilla Glue heavy duty grab adhesive

Postby slo101 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:24 pm

The drill should be fine for this job. When drilling steel make sure you are using a HSS (high speed steel) drill bit, or any other specified for drilling metal. Drill at a low speed and keep the drill bit lubricated with oil (this will make the bit last longer).

Hope this helps

If possible clamp the work piece down instead of holding it. Drill bits can bite into steel and twist the workpiece, causing injury if you're holding it.

Once you have drilled through with a 6mm bit. Use a larger one to remove any sharp edges from the new hole.
slo101
Progress to next rank:
26.3%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!