Drilling into wall above window which has concrete lintel
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nellie
Labourer
Labourer

Drilling into wall above window which has concrete lintel

by nellie » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:51 pm

Tried to drill into wall above window which has concrete lintel. Have used hammer drill but only succeeded in cracking and making huge hole in plaster. Any ideas on how to drill through the plaster and into the concrete without ruining the wall?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:14 pm

Hi nellie, If your having problems drilling in to lintel, you need to get a better drill bit. It's most probally blunt, might be good idea to mark out and drill pilot hole first. I hope it's not the lintel that's cracked?
KB

nellie
Labourer
Labourer

by nellie » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:07 am

[quote="kbrownie"]Hi nellie, If your having problems drilling in to lintel, you need to get a better drill bit. It's most probally blunt, might be good idea to mark out and drill pilot hole first. I hope it's not the lintel that's cracked?
KB[/quote]

No, it was the plaster that cracked and not much headway was made into the concrete. It's my husband who is having the problem and he said it was a brand new drill bit. All the people in the same block of flats (my son's) have this problem.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:26 pm

Hi again nellie,
I am sure that you will be able drill in to the lintel, the plaster's cracked because of the movement of the drill bit in the wall and maybe the vibration of the drill too.
It may have been a brand new bit but those concrete lintels want give in to any old/new bit. Go out get a really good professional quality masonary bit and a good hammer drill. You can hire them. Should not cost much if you can return within the day.
Best of luck
KB

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:20 am