Drilling Through Tanking Slurry for Bathroom Install
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
3mustgetbeers
Labourer
Labourer

Drilling Through Tanking Slurry for Bathroom Install

by 3mustgetbeers » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:06 pm

Evening.

I'm halving my utility room to install a downstairs WC by adding a partition wall. The utility is currently damp; mainly due to condensation but probably rising damp too (old Victorian house, room has a slab floor, no cavity, no heating...)

I've stripped it all back to bare brick, wire brushed the lot and pointed. I'm now ready to start tanking in the morning.

Question is though, I need to drill holes to install the bottom plate & vertical studs adjoined to the wall. This surely means the tanking is compromised, the screws will rust and the wood will rot? What's the correct way to do this? Drill before tanking - if so, bigger drill bit?

Cheers

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Drilling Through Tanking Slurry for Bathroom Install

by collectors » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:14 am

We have had this on site before where we had to drill the tanking for good fixings & the guys that did the tanking gave us a mastic that when we drilld the holes we went one size dill up from the raw plug, squeezed in this mastic & used stainless steal bwoos screws. Just cant remember the name of the mastic. But this link might work as well? But the stud stand off about 3-4mm
https://www.permagard.co.uk/p-seal-quick-plugs?gclid=Cj0KCQiAxNnfBRDwARIsAJlH29Bs3qbiJRGMDc74ldWLZCJBHoiny5_ZP1L3QgzDY9PElt-zgzZVrGkaAo7bEALw_wcB

3mustgetbeers
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Drilling Through Tanking Slurry for Bathroom Install

by 3mustgetbeers » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:57 pm

collectors wrote:We have had this on site before where we had to drill the tanking for good fixings & the guys that did the tanking gave us a mastic that when we drilld the holes we went one size dill up from the raw plug, squeezed in this mastic & used stainless steal bwoos screws. Just cant remember the name of the mastic. But this link might work as well? But the stud stand off about 3-4mm
https://www.permagard.co.uk/p-seal-quick-plugs?gclid=Cj0KCQiAxNnfBRDwARIsAJlH29Bs3qbiJRGMDc74ldWLZCJBHoiny5_ZP1L3QgzDY9PElt-zgzZVrGkaAo7bEALw_wcB

Thanks very much for that :) will have a Google on the mastic. Those plugs then, I assume the bottom plate/studs will effectively be floating on a rubber seal?

Cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:30 pm