All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mf14477
Labourer
Labourer

Dripping Mixer Tap

by mf14477 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:05 pm

Hi,

The mixer tap in the kitchen is dripping, and as my landlord is being slow in organising a repair I thought I'd have a look and see if I could sort it myself. Unfortunately its not similar to anything I can find on the web, and having not attempted even changing a washer before I don't really know what I'm looking at. if anyone could give me any ideas as to where I should go next that would be brilliant, thanks!!

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:14 pm

Had to take links off I'm afraid. The problem with a dripping mixer is not in the spout its in the washers or seating of the hot and cold valves at either end. These can be removed and serviced quite easily. See our projects on repairing taps on the website and it will show you how to get the tops off the valves.

mf14477
Labourer
Labourer

by mf14477 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:09 pm

Thanks.. I've now managed get it all apart, unfortunately the type of washer it has doesn't seem to be available at any of the hardware stores I've tried and none of the staff were any help at all.. after putting it back together again it seems to be dripping a little less than before but I guess I'll have to wait for the landlord to sort it now..

Thanks again..

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:11 pm

MANY OF THE ANSWERS TO YOUR POSTS CAN BE FOUND, WITH DIAGRAMS, IN THE DIYDOCTOR PROJECTS SECTION. CLICK HERE www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm

stephen.s
Apprentice
Apprentice

dripping mixer taps

by stephen.s » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:18 pm

sounds to me like you have got 1/4 turn lever taps, not to insult our intelligence, but taps that only turn 1/4 of the way around. if this is the case, isolate the water supply and take the cartridges out as you did before. take this cartridge to the local plumb center and ask them for a replacement, dont try to source the ceremic discs for inside the cartridges as you will be wasting your time a new cartridge should cost under £10, just make sure the tap head fits back over it this should solve the problem

Good luck,

Stephen

sparty
Apprentice
Apprentice

by sparty » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:32 pm

As Stephen S. says. You'll need to replace the whole cartridge. I think I paid about £8 for a pair recently from my local plumb center.

realitymonkey
Labourer
Labourer

by realitymonkey » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:18 pm

I have taken my mixer tap to pieces found the cold water side is the leaking one,, and have taken the cartridge around all the local hardware stores and a plumbing centre and nobody seems to stock them is there anyway of getting them ? Anyone got any suggestions ? I am Bristol based.

peter the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

by peter the plumber » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:10 pm

I think the main trouble with taps now days are there just cheap imports.

It’s hard to find cartages for a lot of them.

In some cases they have been made in a factory and compress air tools have been used to tighten up the parts, so it’s all most imposable to take them apart.

It’s just easier to replace the taps with new ones.

There is a weakness with ¼ turn taps in the kitchen; the levers have a habit of getting knocked by pans and stuff.

Its like hitting them with a hammer 3 or 4 times a day and don’t do them any good.

The only way round it is to set the levels so they turn away from the sink or not use them in the kitchen.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:52 am