Dripping overflow pipe
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Andy_S
Apprentice
Apprentice

Dripping overflow pipe

by Andy_S » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:53 pm

I live in a third floor flat and one of my neighbours has pointed out that my overflow pipe is dripping water. The dripping is very slow and only seems to happen when water is being used (e.g. after flushing the toilet or when using the washing machine).

Something else (which may or may not be related) is that if my toilet’s cistern lid is correctly in place, the cistern does not refill with water after flushing. However, as soon the lid is moved slightly, the cistern refills straight away.

I would be grateful if anyone could suggest how the rectify the dripping overflow pipe (I only have limited plumbing knowledge!). Let me know if you need any more specific info...

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

by nitro23456 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:27 pm

Is it a cold water tank overflow? if so the float arm of the ball cock probs needs adjusting slightly. gain access to the tank and adjust so the water sits below the overflow outlet by an inch or two.

regarding the toilet - the float arm is likely getting stuck in the closed position by the lid. Take the lid fully off and check that the ball can move up and down freely without touching the sides of the cistern and where the lid would be.

Andy_S
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Andy_S » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:42 pm

Thanks very much for your quick reply.

Further investigation revealed that the overflow pipe was in fact from the toilet cistern, and the problem's now been solved by following your suggestion of adjusting the float arm of the ballcock.

Many thanks again - hugely appreciated.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:47 pm