Dripping shower heads after new water meter fitted?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sackers
Labourer
Labourer

Dripping shower heads after new water meter fitted?

Post by Sackers » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:10 pm

Hi,

I had a water meter fitted yesterday and ever since the mains water was turned back on, both my showers (Mira Advance ATLs) have been dripping water at a persistent, steady rate from the shower heads.

Apart from being annoying to listen to, this is obviously wasting water and I wonder if anyone could explain why this is happening and what the remedy is please?

Many thanks,
Sackers

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Dripping shower heads after new water meter fitted?

Post by stoneyboy » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:11 pm

Hi sackers
The most obvious reason is that maybe debris has been allowed to enter your pipe work when the meter was fitted. Did the installer flush your pipe work?
The other reason may be linked to the minimum pressure needed by these shower to seal the inlet valve in the off position which is 0.2bar. Can the supply pressure have been reduced so that when mains taps are turned on in your house the pressure drops?
Regards S

Sackers
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Dripping shower heads after new water meter fitted?

Post by Sackers » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:53 am

Many thanks for your timely and informative reply Stoneboy, this is much appreciated. The water pressure seems bang on the statutory minimum, with the rudimentary kitchen tap + 1 litre container method returning a flow rate of 6 seconds per litre, so 1b.

Whether the installer flushed the pipework through susbsequent to installation of the meter will forever remain a mystery I'm afraid as I left him to it while I was doing other things, so internal debris could potentially be the cause of the problem.

It looks like I've got some homework to do!

Thanks once again for your input.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:34 pm