Driveway cost comparison
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ij00
Labourer
Labourer

Driveway cost comparison

by ij00 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:57 pm

I know this is a finger in the air question but what's the cost difference between building my own driveway and paying someone to do it?

The drive is approx 7m x 4m and will require drainage.

The slight slope from the pavement to the house is putting me off doing it but if the saving over a professional builder is significant I'm willing to have a go.

Any advice?

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:51 pm

No prices given on line as there are so many variables. Builders quotes are free and you can get the prices of the materials for yourself to work out a labour cost. Paving bricks can vary as much as £25.00 per square meter so its not as straight forward as "just doing it". The better quality the products and the better the skills of the labour, the longer the job will last without dipping and puddling.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:33 pm

Depends on what kind of drive you require, block paving or poured concrete, I've laid a poured concrete drive myself before and found it rather simple, but I now have a block paved drive which is alot more pleasing to the eye.

I've never tried block paving myself, but I know people that have. Probably best getting a few quotes first, try getting someone to do it outside of their full time job instead of paying a building firm to do it. That should save abit of money, but still good quality work.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:56 am