Dry hip and ridge poor installation
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tomfromsurrey
Labourer
Labourer

Dry hip and ridge poor installation

Post by Tomfromsurrey » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:40 am

Hi,
We are about to purchase a new house but concerned about the dry hip and ridge installation. The hip is a mess with buckled tile supports and the ridge has the clips sticking out. Any advice on this would be welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

B4Less
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Dry hip and ridge poor installation

Post by B4Less » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:52 pm

I would think your best option here is to have the roof surveyed for any structural issues. If you have buckled tile supports it could mean the rafters below have buckled also. There is nothing wrong with a dry hip and ridge once done correctly. It's not my preferred method but does the job once installed as it should be. The only point of concern here is the deflection of the battens. That needs a closer look.

coulzee
Labourer
Labourer

Post by coulzee » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:09 pm

I would really appreciate help with this as well. Recently we saw a damp.patch on ceiling. We called roofer out and suggested we rebed ridge and hip tiles and some of the mortar was coming away. He asked what if we wanted mortar or dry installation. After researching we went for dry ridge system. However some of the ridge tiles are uneven some are higher than others. When we questioned about this he stated that the tiles were longer and a couple raised up when screwed in. It looks very unsightly but he stated that there would not be an issue with effectiveness of the roof. I hope.i can post pictures for you to see

coulzee
Labourer
Labourer

Post by coulzee » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:16 pm

Here is a picture of the raised ridge tile
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

B4Less
Ganger
Ganger

Post by B4Less » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:37 am

That is definitely and issue for sure. Water can easily get in under that ridge cap and if there is any break in the felt underneath you will get water ingress. you also run the risk of water pooling in low spots on the felt if there are any.

Regards
Build4less

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am