Dual PIR movement detectors for path lighting
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rogerk110
Labourer
Labourer

Dual PIR movement detectors for path lighting

by rogerk110 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:18 pm

I have a long path between the entrance gate to my property and my house, and I'd like to improve it with automated lighting.

I envisage placing one PIR movement detector at the gate, and another at the house, so the same lights would be switched on whether the path is approached from the gate or the house.

Has anyone here tried using two PIR movement detectors to switch the same load?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Regards
Roger

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:08 pm

Some PIR's say they can be overridden other don't and of course you need former type.

rogerk110
Labourer
Labourer

by rogerk110 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:32 pm

Hi ericmark

Thanks for your prompt input. Unfortunately, I don't know what you mean!

I'd like to wire both PIRs to the same light, to enable the following:
PIR1 PIR2 Lights
----------------------
off off off
on off on
off on on
on on on

I'm just a tad concerned that I'll blow the PIRs, which would be rather an expensive experiment ... hence my question to this panel of gurus.

Anyone ever done this?

Regards
Roger

333rocky333
Ganger
Ganger

by 333rocky333 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:45 pm

I have seen it done and it worked.
Both are wired in parallel .

Ideally though they SHOULD be on the same supply switch or fuse, OTHERWISE you would need to isolate both together to make the system safe, as when one operates, the load side of the pir will feed back to the other side of the pir.

With seperate supplys if you was working on the one isolated pir, if the other was activated the load would come on but then feed back and liven you up.

Personally as a safer way, I would wire the load via two small contactors in an enclosure, wired in parallel switching the load.

Use each pir to control each contactor seperate

Still use the same switch /fuse /spur for the whole set up, but it will be safer as there will be be no direct connection between each pir.

You will need though , pir's that are not affected by a Minimum load to do this.

An even better way
With a similar set up as above you could make the control circuit using 24volt transformer, using discreet small outdoor alarm sensors and smaller 24 volt relays switching the main 240 v light load.

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:08 pm

Sorry did not explain very well. Some PIR's use electronic switching these are not suitable to be run in parallel. Unless like rocky says you use relay. But as long as the type used has a relay built into it the switched outputs from both PIR's can be connected together. As long as both feed from same source. So I would expect 3 core and earth between PIR's connecting Live, Neutral, and Switch of both PIR's together. Two core and earth feeding one of PIR's and two core and earth feeding lamp or lamps. Because you may need to use SWA you may need junction boxes to terminate glands. This will most likely come under Part P if your not in Scotland and even if not it would be prudent to get it tested. I had though you were only asking if it could be done I had not expected you to be doing the job. I would recommend using an electrician you may find one who will allow you to do laboring jobs so reducing price.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:01 am