Durable scratch free eggshell cabinets?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pietbez
Labourer
Labourer

Durable scratch free eggshell cabinets?

by pietbez » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:16 pm

Hi all,
i have gone the diy rout for my kitchen cabinets. i'v constructed the cabinets with 18mm mdf and they look good. im very happy with the results. now for the finish.
i started with an undercoat of white MDF primer using a spraygun. did a few coats of that and sanded it lightly to get a smooth finish.

then i aplied Leyland white Eggshell with a mini roller for the top coat.
the finish is perfect. a factory finish.

now the problem....
the paint has been drying for 24 hours, but still, if i run my nail over the paint it leaves a tacky scratch.

the insides of these cabitets will have to take alot of wear with food cans, plates and all the normal things that go into kitchen cabitets.

how can i get a strong durable scrach free finish? do i need a clear coat? does it need to dry longer? more coats?

any ideas?

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:14 pm

firstly, leave the paint well alone until it's had plenty of time to fully cure!! testing it only 24 hours after painting is nowhere near long enough. if a solvent paint then several weeks are required for a full cure.

saying this, there are few paints, even quality glosses, that are not going to mark to some extent when pots, pans, tins etc are rubbing along them. laminating would have given a more durable finish.

hopefully though the exterior doors and panels should come in for less abuse so will continue to look nice... just have to live with a few marks inside.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:28 pm