DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Earth Bonding and BS 7671

Postby Redpoll » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:42 am


I am having a single glazed lean to conservatory replaced with a new double glazed one. As part of this work I am proposing to have two electric sockets in the existing conservatory relocated.

I have had a contractor in who says he cannot (legally) do this work (a simple move of a foot or two) without replacing the main earth bonding between the meter and the consumer unit as the earth bonding does not meet with current regulations (i.e. BS 7671)

The current earth bonding is not defective in any way, it is just not compliant with the new standards.

The house was built in 1980, and meets all the standards in place at that time.

Is the contractor right? do I have to fork out £200 extra to have new "Uprated" earth bonding before any work can be "leagally" undertaken"
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:27 am


Simply Build It

Postby baldelectrician » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:49 pm

He is partly right (in my opinion)
He is required to check that the bonding is in place and may suggest you get it upgraded.

The regs state that you should check the adequacy of the existing install BEFORE you attempt any alteration or upgrade.
If there is bonding (it may be in 6mm cable) then it will be deemed as 'adequate'

In an install that age I would be more concerned that the socket circuit didn't have RCD protection, as there will be an older consumer unit in a property with that age of wiring.
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:33 am

Postby sparx » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:14 pm

Hi, I totally concur with 'baldelectrician', your leckie is right to check first but, except for consumer unit changes, he need only write on his minor works cert. a comment in the 'box' provided under 'Comments on existing Installation'
Consumer unit changes must not be done unless earthing/bonding is brought up to date, maybe he is slightly confused?
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:33 pm
Location: The fifth continent.

Postby Redpoll » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:42 pm

Thanks for the feedback, which confirms my own research on the issue.

The consumer unit is fairly modern, so the sockets do have RCD protection, in fact it is so sensitive that it often trips if a table lamp bulb blows!
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:27 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics