Earth fault after spurring off double socket in garage
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Horner87
Labourer
Labourer

Earth fault after spurring off double socket in garage

by Horner87 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:17 pm

Hi guys I'm new hereso any help welcomed. I was spurring of a double socket in my garage today, I turned of the MCB to the sockets and left the MCBfor the lights on, as soon as I started working I got a earth fault on the RCD and can't reset it even after turning the electrics off completely. The side of the unit that I can reset has 3 sockets for the garage, garage lights and the shower. The consumer unit and sockets were fitted in January, the lights and shower are old wiring, any suggestions how to get power back??

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Earth fault after spurring off double socket in garage

by Mr White » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:25 am

Sorry to state the obvious but I would disconnect what ever it is you have added, then call a qualified electrician to find what you have done wrong.
An electrician will have an insulation resistance testing meter, to find the cause of the problem, an ordinary multi meter will not be of use.

Horner87
Labourer
Labourer

by Horner87 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:30 am

Thanks for the response, I removed what I had fitted, but the earth fault light came on before I had even added anything?

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:09 pm

You still need an electrician with an insulation resistance meter to check everything.
There would of course be no harm if you opened up everything to look for the obvious. Failing that, see above.

It is not like the ******* "The bad guy is over there (and he is)"
It needs to be physically looked at and tested.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:16 am