Earth to Immersion Timer
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rookie6
Apprentice
Apprentice

Earth to Immersion Timer

by rookie6 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:17 pm

Hi,

Trying to replace immersion timer that won't time. Bought a flashy new digital version, everything set up – but no earth!. The existing (faulty) timer is earthed – both switch to timer and timer to immersion cables have earth wire but the new switch has no earth facility although it does say 'suitable for immersion heaters' can this be right? Any advice appreciated, Thanks.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Earth to Immersion Timer

by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:42 pm

[quote="rookie6"]Hi,

Trying to replace immersion timer that won't time. Bought a flashy new digital version, everything set up – but no earth!. The existing (faulty) timer is earthed – both switch to timer and timer to immersion cables have earth wire but the new switch has no earth facility although it does say 'suitable for immersion heaters' can this be right? Any advice appreciated, Thanks.[/quote]

ROOKIE
ASSUMMING THAT YOUR NEW TIMER IS CLASS 2 PRODUCT
AND DOUBLE INSULATED WITH THE BLACK SQUARE WITHIN A SQUARE
SYMBOL.
YOUR CIRCUIT CABLE PROBALY A 2.5MM2 TWIN AND EARTH SHOULD BE CONNECTED AS PER YOUR INSTRUCTIONS FOR YOUR PRODUCT.
THE EARTH FROM YOUR TWIN CABLE SHOULD BE CONNECTED WITH THE
EARTH CORE FROM YOUR FLEX GOING TO YOUR IMMERSION HEATER
ELEMENT. THIS FLEX SHOULD BE 2.5 MM2 HEAT RESISTANT.
I WOULD ALSO GET EXPERT ADVICE IN SURVEYING ANY BONDING
REQUIREMENTS WITH THE IMMERSION TANK AND ASSOCIATED
PIPEWORK , TO CHECK DISSCONNECTION TIMES, AND EARTH LOOP IMPEADANCES.
BLAKEY1963

rookie6
Apprentice
Apprentice

by rookie6 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:02 am

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. You are right about the cables (2.5mm twin with earth) but my problem remains the same – there is no earth terminal inside the time switch – I have 5 terminals L · N · COM · NO · NC (the NC is not used in the instructions) but no earth. In my old timer there is a separate earth terminal to which both "in" and "out" cables are connected. Earth is not mentioned at all in the instructions with the new switch. The switch is a CED Digital and is readily available. Thanks for your input.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:35 am

[quote="rookie6"]Hi,
Thanks for your reply. You are right about the cables (2.5mm twin with earth) but my problem remains the same – there is no earth terminal inside the time switch – I have 5 terminals L · N · COM · NO · NC (the NC is not used in the instructions) but no earth. In my old timer there is a separate earth terminal to which both "in" and "out" cables are connected. Earth is not mentioned at all in the instructions with the new switch. The switch is a CED Digital and is readily available. Thanks for your input.[/quote]

ROOKIE
ONCE YOU MADE THIS CONNECTION OF CIRCUIT CABLE 2.5 MM2 TYPE, ( EARTH WILL BE 1.5MM2 ), TO HEAT RESISTANT CABLE 2.5 MM2 , IF YOU TERMINAL BLOCK THESE WITH A SINGLE 30 AMP BLOCK
THIS MIGHT FIT INTO THE CONTROLLER.
YOU ALREADY HAVE THESE CABLES IN THERE ALREADY , JUST BLOCK
THE EARTH CONNECTIONS , AND SHOULD COVER WITH GREEN AND YELLOW TAPE TO IDENTIFY AS AN EARTH CONDUCTOR AND C.P.C.
AND TO STOP SHORT CIRCUITS.
EARTH MIGHT NOT BE MENTIONED IN THE INSTUCTIONS BUT YOU NEED
ONE AS YOU KNOW, AND IT COULD BE HOUSED IN THE CONTROLLER.
I THOUGHT THAT WHEN U GET YOUR SPARKY IN TO CHECK THINGS
HE COULD CHECK THIS CONNECTION ALONG WITH THE EARTHING CHECKS.

BLAKEY1963

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:08 am