DIY Doctor

Earth with plastic backbox

Postby Gilbo777 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:32 pm

I’m replacing a plastic dimmer with a chrome. The backbox is plastic and the earth is currently terminated. So I plan to wire with the earth going into the front plate of the switch. The cable and backbox were put in by an electrician about a year ago and I’ve got reams of certificate information. There’s a section on RCD protection for Cables installed in Walls that’s all ticked as checked. So I assume it’s a reasonable assumption that the earth cable is connected?

Secondly the wiring leaflet says Live to L2 and s/ live to Com. Is there a reason they will be saying to do this way?
Gilbo777
Progress to next rank:
52.6%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby Mr White » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:09 pm

1) Never assume anything.

2) As for why the switch manufacturer says to connect it a specific way they have to supply instructions, but why that specific way I have no idea, you would have to ask them.
Mr White
Progress to next rank:
82.4%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!