EARTHING A LIGHT
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gamblinharry
Labourer
Labourer

EARTHING A LIGHT

by gamblinharry » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:35 pm

Hi all,

I've just bought a new outside light to replace the existing one. However, when I've come to fit it, I've noticed that there is no earth wire attached to the existing light. The light is operated by a single gang switch and there is no earth attached to that either.

Can I spur off an earth from another nearby light fitting and attach this to both the light and the switch.

Any advice welcomed.

Many thanks.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Google "esc.org.uk/business-and-community/electrical-industry/best-practice-guides.html" and down load ESC Best Practice Guide No.1 Issue 2 which details this problem.

Basic you need to use lights which are double insulated until you re-wire.
The earth wire has to follow the same route as live wires and if not included with live wires be at least 4mm which means it is as easy to renew wires as add an earth.

Taking earths from else where is not really any good as the supply to that item could be isolated in the future which would mean losing earth again.

The rules on earths are getting on for 40 years old which means at 10 yearly tests you should have had it re-done by now.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:41 pm