Earthing Bathroom
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rinkydinkydooodaa
Apprentice
Apprentice

Earthing Bathroom

Post by rinkydinkydooodaa » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:56 pm

Hi and thanks for looking. I need some advice regarding Earth bonding. I have just ripped out my bathroom ready to install a new one. The bath which was metal had a earth wire running to it. The bath that I will be installing will be acrylic. Will I need to earth it and if not where should i connect the earth wire i cut. The new bath will also be a free standing type so would i be able to connect the earth to the pipes below the floorboards.
many thanks

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:19 am

Much depends on what is in the bathroom. And what version of the regulations the house has been wired to the old 16th Edition said:-
601-04 Supplementary equipotential bonding
601-04-01 Local supplementary equipotential bonding complying with Regulation 547-03 shall be provided
connecting together the terminal of the protective conductor of each circuit supplying Class I and Class II equipment
in zones 1, 2 or 3, and extraneous-conductive-parts in these zones including the following:
(i) metallic pipes supplying services and metallic waste pipes (e.g. water, gas)
(ii) metallic central heating pipes and air conditioning systems
(iii) accessible metallic structural parts of the building; (metallic door architraves, window frames and similar
parts are not considered to be extraneous-conductive-parts unless they are connected to metallic structural
parts of the building)
(iv) metallic baths and metallic shower basins.
The supplementary equipotential bonding may be provided in close proximity to the location.
But the new 17th Edition says:-
Where the location containing a bath or shower is in a building with a protective equipotential bonding system in accordance with Regulation 411.3.1.2, supplementary equipotential bonding may be omitted where all of the following conditions are met:
Because it depends on if earth leakage devices are installed and what electrical items are in your bath room plus the amount of plastic pipe. It is not possible to give a single answer but I would suspect that you will not need that earth wire. The idea is to make it so while wet you can't touch items having different voltages and to ensure this all items which could carry current are connected together. But they are not connected directly to incoming earth although they may be indirectly connected. So to tell you to connect the earth wire you have to anything could be wrong as we don't know what the other end is connected to. I will point out there is a link to Part P on projects page and this does also give some information. I am loathed to try to tell you what to do in case you have missed something which could change what is required. One does really need to be on site to give advise of this nature.

rinkydinkydooodaa
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by rinkydinkydooodaa » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:21 am

Thanks for your reply. The bath hot and cold pipes were earthed so I just reconnected them to the now stand alone pipes the same with the basin. I will be putting in a acrylic bath soon and was wondering if I could put the earth wires that are on the pipes under the floor boards so as not to show them ?
Cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:46 am