earthing
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gumpert
Labourer
Labourer

earthing

by gumpert » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:50 pm

i was at a friends house recently and noticed that the mains cable coming into the house, before the mains fuse and meter. the armouring crumbled when touched and the layers beneath where basically rust. whose responsibility is it to replace it? as in would my friend have to foot the bill or is it the suppliers? as a result the main rcd is not working, is it possible to install a new earth himself?

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:51 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm. The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:31 pm

It is up the supply authority to do any repairs to this cable.
But it would not normally make a earth leakage trip fail. He can fit an earth rod but something seems wrong here.
The test button on a current earth leakage trip is purely to test mechanics of the trip and a special meter is required to test an earth leakage trip.
I would think to be on safe side he may need to get it looked at by someone with electrical knowledge.
I would say first line would be supply authority but it may need an electrician as well.
I would not expect you to be charged by supply authority but they may require you to have urgent work done which may be charged for.

matthewm1965
Tradesman
Tradesman

by matthewm1965 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:00 pm

I had a similar problem a few years ago with the cable coming from the street into the house. I called the local Electric Board to voice my concern. They came out within half an hour to inspect the cable.
The said that underneath the rusty armouring was a lead sheath, which of course would not rust. They wrapped the offending cable with tape to prevent further water ingress, and reported that it was fit for many more years of service.
There was no charge for this callout.

Matt

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:34 am