DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Edwardian Property Damp and Crumbling Plaster

Postby EdwardianReno » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:39 am

A few walls were picked up on a damp survey. We have started to take the wallpaper off and the plaster crumbled off to the brickwork in a large area. The wall isn't damp but there are tiny wet marks on the bricks - like a sprinkle of water scattered on the wall. What is this? It looks like someone has done a different layer of plaster at the bottom of the wall as this hasn't come off. Is this rising damp or another form of damp?
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-22 at 12.26.27 AM (2).jpg
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:20 am


Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:08 pm

Hi edwardianreno
It looks like you have a concrete render at the lower level and either undercoat or hardwall plaster above this. Neither of the plasters like damp and disintegrate.
The damp could be rising or penetrating depending on the location, height up the wall and wall construction.
Regards S
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 5340
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics