Eggshell Type Cracks in Plaster Skim on Plasterboard
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
the_lar
Labourer
Labourer

Eggshell Type Cracks in Plaster Skim on Plasterboard

by the_lar » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:11 am

Hi all,

I'm embarking on a plastering job at home, my hall stairs and landing basically. I'm practicing skimming some plasterboard sheets at the moment in my garage and did my first 1800 x 1800 trial yesterday.

I thought I'd got a really good finish and was very happy with it, however when I came to check the finish this morning, the skim has cracked like an eggshell pattern all around the edges. Now I'm fairly sure this will be because it dried out too quickly(???) - it was very hot yesterday afternoon when I was doing it. Is that the most likely cause? Or could it be that I didn't put the plaster on thickly enough?

I didn't do anything to prepare the plasterboard sheets first, I just slapped the Thistle multifinish straight on, but should I have 'sprayed' the sheets with water first or used PVA?? Sorry for basic q's, I'm just a bit confused as to what I've done wrong.

Many thanks
Kevin

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Eggshell Type Cracks in Plaster Skim on Plasterboard

by welsh brickie » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:16 pm

your correct, it has dried to quickly, you can pick it off, paint a pva solution on the areas and mix a bit of plaster and go over it again

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:47 pm