electric boiler removal
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
thet2
Labourer
Labourer

electric boiler removal

Post by thet2 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:44 pm

I have a 120litre electric dual element boiler, the elements are 3kw each.

is there any law or regulations that i need to be aware about, or do you advise against for the below:

i would like to remove this and fit a 9.5 -10.8 or 12 kw inline heater to feed the 2 sinks (one in the bathroom and one in the kitchen) (the inline heater would be a redring powerstream)

The flat is quite small so removing the boiler would give me quite a bit of storage space.

Could some1 advise if there would be any implications as i would like to keep costs at a minimum (all the electric work would be done by a qualified electrician)

Thank you

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:01 am

The output from even a 12 Kw unit is quite low. And to do any more than wash your hands you really do need some storage of hot water. Reducing from 120 litre to smaller size may be option but for instant hot water 25 to 30Kw is required too much for electric units only gas can supply this power. I have used 7 litre undersink units which were OK even with 1Kw element. I would do internet search for "mains pressure hot water" The Dimplex do a range 7 to 15 litres and these would allow you to run full sink full of water there are many options but I would think you would need some storage as electric is slow.

matt h
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by matt h » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:13 am

THE UNITS ARE DESIGNED TO MEET MODERN HOT WATER REQUIREMENTS FOR TWO BASINS AND A BATH/ WASHING MACHINE .i WOULD STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST TRYING TO REPLACE WITH ANYTHING SMALLER. HAVE RECENTLY CARRIED OUT SEVERAL REPLACEMENTS OF THESE HEATERS. NEW ONES ARE GUARANTEED FOR TWENTY YEARS... SO MAYBE THATS A CONSIDERATION

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1