electric boiler
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sally36
Labourer
Labourer

electric boiler

Post by sally36 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:09 pm

I only have electricity in my property the water tank (hot) is in kitchen cold tank in loft.Water tank now sounds like kettle boiling when switched on and water gets scalding-can only leave it on for about ten minutes plus the switch is very hot too any tips what I need to do?Do I need new cylinde(which looks really old) or thermostat?Or anything else i'm clueless at DIY even knowing who to call out

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

Post by DONFRAMAC » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:42 am

Sounds like you just need a new thermocouple, and maybe heavier supply lead from the switch. The thermocouple is normally out of sight in a tubular pocket under the drum-shaped cap on top of the element, where you see the power lead enter.
These thermocouples have been modernised, with an overload unit, so you need to get a knowledgible person to fix this apparently minor problem.
In my own area, i know that my electric supply board/shop use a self-employed electrical contractor for out-of-warranty repairs. I would go there to get his details, and solicit his help with some confidence that i would not get ripped-off.

sally36
Labourer
Labourer

thanks

Post by sally36 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:28 pm

Thanks for that so should I contact local electricity supply company and ask them?

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

Post by DONFRAMAC » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:08 am

Yes, but it needs to be a local billing Co. which sells appliances thro' a chain of local shops ; ie they don't want continuing responsibility for the goods they sell, so they dont have local service personnel of their own. These old-style utility companies only retain retail sales as a boost to the economics of maintaining a local bill-paying personal counter-service.
A phone-call to an electrical contractor, found via the phone-book or classified ads., could well result in a bill for a new element, plus the labour for a tough job shifting the old one, which could damage the tank!
The sub-contractor used by the utilities/shop is likely to have plenty of work, and have little inclination to sour relations with the shop.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:41 am