Electric Cable Detector's False Reading and Drilled Through Cable
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Electric Cable Detector's False Reading and Drilled Through Cable

by greengrass » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:05 pm

bought and used several moons ago a metal/ Electrics detector type you pass over the area on the wall, not pen type.
Tested by passing over a socket and it beeped like mad.
9 " away where I would be drilling, tested, silence, not a squeek. Got drill out 2mins later flash bank wallop, what a picture, what a photograph.
What happened ER indoors exclaimed.
I replied the voltage locator lied. It seems not up to the mark of locating cables at depth of 1.5-2 cm.
I used a friend's Budgie BD725 it shows the whole wall is live beeping everywhere

Q: What is the best buy for DIY home use that's capable of locating in depth. Or reasonable priced professional one?

Foot note: I am very aware electricity takes no prisoners. It was not me being reckless the tester let me down.
Thanks to all in advance.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Electric Cable Detector's False Reading and Drilled Through Cable

by Mr White » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:34 pm

Truthful answer? They are all a waste of money.

9/12 22.33

chriscba
Ganger
Ganger

by chriscba » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:01 am

Cables in walls run vertically & horizontally in line from sockets & switches.
When you drilled 9" away from the socket, was it directly above, below or on either side.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:12 pm

There are some two part testers which can detect cables buried 2 meters under ground, but most the cheap testers you have to use to trace cable rather than spot check.

So cable from a device like a socket should go vertical or horizontal about best the tester can do is tell you which, even then caught out where a light switch had one vertical and one horizontal even when no safe zone in horizontal direction.

You can get the meters but not at a price that a DIY guy will pay, and even with a RCD you still get a nasty belt even if only for 40 ms.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:08 am