Electric Cable Encasement
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
oldspark
Apprentice
Apprentice

Electric Cable Encasement

by oldspark » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:58 pm

Hi,

Please could someone confirm whether it is acceptable practice to enclose a 2.5mm twin and earth ring mains cable within a wooden batten type enclose.

The cable is currently installed using cable clips within a wooden summerhouse and the owner wishes to disguise this by covering in a wooden batten type affair. My recollections are that when I used to be involved with electrictal contracting was that because of fire hazard, this was not allowed. I do not know what the current regulation are and therfore would like a difinitive answer, which would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

old spark

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:55 pm

Hi Old spark,
can't see a problem, no different from plastic mini-trunking from a heat dissipation point. I notice some DIY sheds now selling old cap & casing type wooden trunking nicely moulded to look 1940's retro, like original singles used to be done in, usually found in the racks with other mouldings in B&Q /Wickes, bit dear if need much, or do as I do & use corner mouldings inside-out ie bought concave- use convex! careful with the panel pins!!!
regards older SPARX

oldspark
Apprentice
Apprentice

by oldspark » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:55 pm

Thanks for your informative reply. It will please my friend that he can now conceal the cabling without using the plastic trunking.

In the back of my mind I recall that vertical runs of cable could not be run in wooden capping because of the fire hazard, especially with the draft flue effect. This was in the 60's

You certainly have provided useful advice and is well received.

best regards

old spark

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:11 pm