Electric Cooker Control switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
SWEEP
Apprentice
Apprentice

Electric Cooker Control switch

by SWEEP » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:15 pm

Hi, everyone a little information please if you will?

I have just moved my cooker control switch about 6 feet from its previous position which involved disconnecting the mains cable at the switch and the cable from the switch to the cooker.

Inside the switch there are two sets of terminals (live, neutral and earth) one set for the incoming mains supply (marked mains) and the other marked load.

Having identified the cables beforehand I have re-fitted them correctly to the relevant terminals but I wondered what is the reason for the difference in the terminals inside the switch (ie mains and load) and what would be the result of wiring mains to load terminals and the reverse?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:26 am

Hi sweep, if no socket outlet on cooker plate then no real difference unless later someone else goes to do work on it & assumes load terms dead with sw. in off position!!!
if skt fitted then will only work if cooker sw also on, also if neon fitted then it will be on all time even with sw. in off position,
regards SPARX
Last edited by sparx on Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SWEEP
Apprentice
Apprentice

by SWEEP » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:00 pm

Hi, sparx

There is a switched socket outlet on the cooker control which is used for an electric kettle etc. so I have checked out what you said about the socket only working with the cooker control switch also on at the same time and it is fine working as designed.

Thanks for your time and trouble I am grateful for your help.

Best wishes, SWEEP

:)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:36 pm