Electric shower earthing
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
russellfl
Ganger
Ganger

Electric shower earthing

Post by russellfl » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:32 am

Hi, can anyone advise?

I have started re tiling my en suite shower area and have taken off some unsightly boxing around the cold feed pipe and shower cable. I noticed that there was an earth wire coming from the shower unit that was screwed onto an earth tag on the copper feed pipe about 250mm from the shower unit, the earth wire looks to me like a single strand about the size of a 2.5mm twin/earth wire. Is that acceptable or should it have had a larger stranded cable? also should it also have been taken back to the earth strip of the CU (RCD)? if so it looks like my cheapy re tiling job won't be so cheap after all.

Cheers

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:18 am

the size of your supplementary bonding for the shower will depend on the size of CPC(earth) cable supplying the shower.
This will give you a guide of what should be what.
I'm taking in to consideration there is no mechanical protecion on earth cable, which is quite normal.

CPC of shower = Sup. Bond

1.00 to 6.00mm = 4.00mm

10mm = 6.00mm

16mm = 10.00mm

KB

russellfl
Ganger
Ganger

Electric shower earthing

Post by russellfl » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:40 pm

Thanks for that KBBrownie,so from what you've said I need to have a 6mm earth installed as the shower feed is 10mm.
Does it need to go all the way back to the consumer unit?

Cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:26 am