All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jason_H
Labourer
Labourer

Electric shower questions

by Jason_H » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:44 am

Hi everyone

I have searched through as many forum posts as I can and now have a general idea of the answers to some of my shower questions but would really appreciate a pros specific advice.

The property is a studio flat, all electric no gas and is to be rented out to probably just one person. I am looking at the most cost effective solution for a shower, both buying/installing and running costs. My thinking is that as only one person will be living there an electric shower might be cheaper for them, rather than to heat up the hot water cylinder/immersion heater?. I understand that any shower rated 7.5kw or above will require a 10mm2 cable with the relevant sized RCBO.

1. Would an electric shower be cheaper to run than using a power/mixer shower with an immersion heater to heat the water?.

2. Mira appears to be the most recommended, I was looking at the Mira Sport but not sure whether to get the 9kw, 9.8kw or higher, is this a good, reliable model with out the bells and whistles of the Advance?

3. Is it that much more expensive per shower to run say a 10.8 kw than a 9.8kw or a 9.8kw than a 9kw?,

4. Will a 10.8kw/9.8kw flow be that much better at the same temperature than a 9.8kw/9kw?

5, The sparks I intend to use is qualified? but does not have Part “P”, does he need this in order to issue a certificate for the shower installation and overall electrical check of the studio?

Thanks in advance for your help.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Electric shower questions

by stoneyboy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:02 pm

Jason_H,
An electric shower will probably be cheaper both for the running cost and installation cost. But if you already have a hot water cylinder installed and are on an economy 7 tariff a conventional shower may be cheaper.
I don't think you will notice much difference between a 9.8 and 10.8 rated shower but either way the cabling will have to comply with regs and this must be calculated by your electrician who should be able to certify work under part p.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:17 pm