electric socket box problem in plaster wall
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ewan
Labourer
Labourer

electric socket box problem in plaster wall

Post by ewan » Mon May 03, 2010 11:57 pm

I have an electric socket , with the box in a plaster wall where it has the plastic tabs that keep it in. It is a single socket.

It came away from the wall, breaking the plaster around it , Plaster was refilled but box coming away again and it looks like the box behind has the screw inlet holes broken.

I am not sure if it would be best to get the socket moved to another part of the wall, trouble is that there would not be enough wire. Once the socket was moved, it would be a case of replastering the old hole, but I understand that if the wires were joined, it is not suggested that the joined wires, however joined,, be beone the plaster wall.

I am also wondering if it would be easier to convert the single socket to a double socket , this making a cut out to the left of the socket where the plaster was broken anyhow.

AAny suggestions welcome

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Thu May 06, 2010 9:34 pm

ewan,
"I am also wondering if it would be easier to convert the single socket to a double socket" yes this is the best solution but make sure there are no battens/studding behind the new size hole.
end

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Thu May 06, 2010 10:03 pm

I have often glued in lumps of wood to other wall and screwed into that. A glue able to take up some movement is better if I have time to let it cure then silicon sealant does a good job. Son uses expanding foam but I don't like that. Best not to fit socket until glue is well and truly set.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:35 pm