Electric supply for gas hob and electric oven
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rob2xx2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Electric supply for gas hob and electric oven

Post by rob2xx2 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:33 pm

Rebuilding the kitchen ...

we've got a nice shiny new gas hob and electric oven. Both need electric power but the hob only uses it for the ignitor.

There is an existing control unit for an electric cooker. The cable runs under the plaster to what I assume is a connection block screwed to the wall.

Is it acceptable to connect both the oven cable and the hob cable to the connection block which is switched by the control unit?

Thanks!

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Electric supply for gas hob and electric oven

Post by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:55 pm

[quote="rob2xx2"]Rebuilding the kitchen ...

we've got a nice shiny new gas hob and electric oven. Both need electric power but the hob only uses it for the ignitor.

There is an existing control unit for an electric cooker. The cable runs under the plaster to what I assume is a connection block screwed to the wall.

Is it acceptable to connect both the oven cable and the hob cable to the connection block which is switched by the control unit?

Thanks![/quote]

ROB
IDEALLY U SHOULD GET ADVICE FROM YOUR LOCAL SPARKY
AS THIS IS NOTIFIABLE WORK
BLAKEY1963

rob2xx2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by rob2xx2 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:57 am

Hi Blakey,

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought this kind of connection was not notifiable? I saw this link:

http://www.eca.co.uk/IndustryGuidance/T ... .asp#10020

from the ECAwhich says it isn't notifiable (question 3 on the list of FAQs).

I should have added in my first post that the hob is already fitted with a cable; the alternative to connecting the hob and oven to the same block is to is to fit a 13A plug to the hob and use one of the existing sockets (with a 3A fuse, of course). However that means a trailing wire and continuous use of one of the sockets in the kitchen.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:19 pm

Hi rob, I would have thought if hob only for ignition then from the outlet plate connector supplying oven you could run a 13A skt via a short length of 4mm2 cable, it may be in fact that your oven load is less than 13A as well so changing the connection plate to a double 13A skt may be the answer altho' space for plugs may be too small or close to oven vent, I've seen both done before with no probs.
ECA site quite good & NAPIT have forum like this one also, no doubt NIC do as well, but as not member never looked,regards SPARX

rob2xx2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by rob2xx2 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:45 pm

Good thoughts ... thanks for the advice.

Rob

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:33 am