DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Electrical - Distribution Board

Postby vjratne1740 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:21 am

My house wiring is about 35 years old with the old type (8 fuse pieces with fuse wire) 8 way distribution board connected with a trip switch.
Wiring is solid but sometimes it is hard to replace burnt fuse (box located near ceiling 9 feet from floor)

I need to fix a modern distribution board at arms length, where you have to switch on, if it trips (without manually fixing fuse wire as we are doing now).

Full details / what to purchase / how to do it , are required please help!.

Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:01 am


Simply Build It

Postby sparx » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:00 pm

hi, this work is a controlled service under bldg regulations 'part-p' and because you are asking these questions clearly you are not registered to do it your self legally.
To move the consumer unit position will mean lengthening circuit cables, altering incoming 'tails' upgrading the earths to water/gas,etc.
Either contact a registered electrical 'domestic installer' or notify local bldg control dept. and pay their fees (£150+) first for them to inspect your work at each stage.
If you happen to have a 'Wylex' fuse board, it is possible to purchase plug-in replacement Min. Circuit Breakers to take the place of fuse holders, but that is as far as you can go,
regards SPARX
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:33 pm
Location: The fifth continent.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics