Electrical lighting in the kicthen
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
skybluekev
Apprentice
Apprentice

Electrical lighting in the kicthen

by skybluekev » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:12 am

I currently Have 2 separate lights in my kitchen which run off the same switch. I think there is a junction box which links the 2 lights together so that they both run off the same single switch. I want 2 remove these lights and have 1 light in the centre of the kitchen instead. I intend on using one of the circuit wiring to the old light for my new light (by using a junction box and extending the cable) but as for the other wire to the other light, ideally i would remove it from the origional junction box, but as this is unaccessable as it is under the bathroom (tiled floor etc) then would it be safe to terminate this wire using a junction box? Thanks.

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:55 pm

From your description if it were my house I would terminate wires as you suggest and hide in the ceiling. But as to if safe not really something I can comment on without seeing. I must of course point out you should declare your intentions to building control and pay them their fee. You are allowed to change like for like in special locations but not change what you have now without Part P. It will most likely be cheaper to get an electrician who is able to self certify but do make sure they can issue a building control certificate and not just electrical certificate.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:51 am