electrical outbuilding
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
winch
Labourer
Labourer

electrical outbuilding

by winch » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:35 am

Hi, can anyone help me, i'm just converting my garage into a 1 bed annexe, and need to find out how i get a supply out to it from the house, do i come off the mains of my board to supply another board in the annexe, and what size cable do i use. Oh sorry i have a small kitchen in the annexe whitch has a cooker and also just power and lighting, i want to do this work myself then have a spark come in and check/test it afterwards.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:40 pm

A few different ways of doing this, but i'd suggest you get a sparky involved right from the start.
Cable sizes, distances, volt drop, protective devices are just a few things that need to be calculated, so if you have friendly electrician that is willing to sign your work of and inpect,test, certify and commision. I am sure he will help you with the calcs!
KB

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:52 pm

Hi,
clearly this is being converted without planning consent otherwise you would have been told that the electrical installation comes under 'partP' of building regs. & if you intended to try to DIY then an additional fee would be charged.
As KB says it is not permitted for an electrician to certify work he has not done himself.
As well as the points raised already, if there are any other services such as water or gas in the garage and it is separate from the house then the earthing cannot come from the house supply ie it must have its own T.T. rod and a separate consumer unit with an independent RCD in the garage.
You may find an accommodating 'competent person' registered leckie who would be prepared for you to do some of the basic work yourself, but his test sheets and council notification would have to say he had done all the work, he would be very brave so to do.
regards SPARX

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:51 am