Electrical question about plug height
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rose
Ganger
Ganger

Electrical question about plug height

by rose » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:07 pm

Hi
Looking for help! if the bottom of electrical sockets are placed 30mm from the floor will they be passed for the certificate.
thanks for any replies

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

by TheDoctor4 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:37 pm

Hi

Have you had a look at the DIY Projects area: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm There is a project called "Electrical, socket heights " that may provide you with some helpful information.

Regards

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:56 pm

There are two regulations as to sockets heights the electrical regulations only say there should be room for the wire to leave the plug without harsh bending and Part M regulations covers new sockets in new build giving min and max heights for the disabled. This is normally 450 to 1200 mm from finished floor level but this is not hard and fast and for example you can still fit a socket into a power outlet in the floor as often found in open plan offices. It is also slightly different for public buildings and domestic. If you can show good reason why it should not be at the height most inspectors will still allow it for example matching all other sockets in the house or to avoid damage like behind a bed head.
The socket heights will not in the main effect the issue of a periodic inspection or installation certificate it could but could effect issue of a completion certificate.
There is a link in projects to Part P from that you should find Part M which is a free down load if you want to check for yourself.
Eric

rose
Ganger
Ganger

by rose » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:23 pm

thanks for your replies. I have now been told that the certificate can still be given if they are placed at 30cm from the floor!! I personally think that 45cm from the floor is too high and doesn't look right after viewing a new build for ideas. But I don't want to put it at 30 and then have to change it to 40 cm

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:31 am

For non domestic it is 400 not 450 for sockets I have never worked out why lower for non domestic. Much depends on building inspector in my mothers house quite a few are too low so she can reach in wheel chair.
Eric

rose
Ganger
Ganger

by rose » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:26 am

hi ericmark

So are you saying that putting the sockets in a house at 3ocm is ok. I will need a completion certificate at the end of all the work being carried out.
thanks for relplying

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:30 am

If it were me I would ask the person issuing the completion certificate. On a old house I can not see a problem but on a new house then you may need to show just cause.
Eric

rose
Ganger
Ganger

by rose » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:41 am

Hi ericmark
thanks for your help.
I will have a chat with the electrician that I have.
many thanks

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:38 pm