Electricity Pole and Stay in garden - options
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
burt12345
Tradesman
Tradesman

Electricity Pole and Stay in garden - options

by burt12345 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:07 pm

Hello,

We have an electricity pole in the garden and it's stay is directed to about 10ft from the back of the house (our neighbour also has a feed of the pole as well the wires from the previous pole are coming towards the house).

The trouble is we are considering putting an extension on the house but it is would to at least span to the base of its stay.

I'm guessing you can't build this close to a stay mount (it just goes into the soil).

What are our options? Other streets in our town have had their cables put underground - but I doubt ours will be in the near future.

I don't really want the pole but we need electric! not bothered about my £10 a year rental income for it either! I can't see that you can move a stay and it's supporting the poles main feed wires.

Any ideas, thanks

marconii
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Electricity Pole and Stay in garden - options

by marconii » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:15 pm

[quote="burt12345"]Hello,

We have an electricity pole in the garden and it's stay is directed to about 10ft from the back of the house (our neighbour also has a feed of the pole as well the wires from the previous pole are coming towards the house).

The trouble is we are considering putting an extension on the house but it is would to at least span to the base of its stay.

I'm guessing you can't build this close to a stay mount (it just goes into the soil).

What are our options? Other streets in our town have had their cables put underground - but I doubt ours will be in the near future.

I don't really want the pole but we need electric! not bothered about my £10 a year rental income for it either! I can't see that you can move a stay and it's supporting the poles main feed wires.

Any ideas, thanks[/quote]

hi.....i come across these probs alot......ive been a spark since 1982..... and the answer is......simply put.....if you have the cash, you can pay to have an electrical obsticle removed....

you may hit a beauracratical (?) wall......but there are ways around this....

health reasons......safety reasons......eyesore reasons...etc....
i recently had a full pylon moved for a customer.....so it can be done..

interestingly, you say that your getting a peppercorn rent for this appliance being on your property......you may want to relinquish your permission for this to continue..!!

with persistance, you can and will have this moved......

good luck...and remain optimistic.

mark

burt12345
Tradesman
Tradesman

by burt12345 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:37 pm

thanks marconii

any ideas how much it would cost to move a pole 10ft back, this would affect our feed cables and our neighbours by the same length

Are you saying that if we complained for health reasons, we could get it moved without cost? One thing we've noticed is that none of our plants do very well around the stay.

[quote]interestingly, you say that your getting a peppercorn rent for this appliance being on your property......you may want to relinquish your permission for this to continue..!! [/quote]

What are my options with relinquishing permission, we need power so what would happen if I said I no longer give permission for it to be in the garden?

cheers

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:15 pm

contact the Regional Electrical Companies 'Wayleaves Department' who are the ones who pay the rent to you and say due to building works it has to go, there will be a minimum notice period so do it now!
What they do with it is their problem, it might help if the letter comes from a solicitor!

burt12345
Tradesman
Tradesman

by burt12345 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:31 pm

Thanks, Will that affect our right to have mains to the house? Or is there some law that states they have to provide power to us?

burt12345
Tradesman
Tradesman

by burt12345 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:37 pm

and will we have to pay for it's move?

burt12345
Tradesman
Tradesman

by burt12345 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:01 pm

does anyone know if we would have to pay?

thanks Burty

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:50 pm

It costs nothing to ask them, at wayleaves department as I said in November

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:16 am