Electrics in a cloakroom.
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
happyhacker
Tradesman
Tradesman

Electrics in a cloakroom.

by happyhacker » Mon May 30, 2011 10:39 pm

I want to put a washing machine at one end of our cloakroom (2.5m x 0.9m) fed from a spur with a point adjacent. Also need a Dimplex oil filled rad next to the Toilet. I need to bring a spur in throgh a wall and take one way to a fused point for the rad. and another away to the other end for the m/c (13A socket).

Any special considerations here?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Tue May 31, 2011 6:27 am

Rules on spurs.

1) Only one spur can be taken from any one point on a ring main.
2) Only one device protected with a fuse (That could be in plug) on any spur.
3) Max length of 3 meters (433.2.2).

The use of a single double socket is permitted but do remember the 2.5mm cable is likely rated 21A (Ref method 100#) depending on run. And one could be plugging in two items taking max draw of 13A so 26A in total. It will depend on rating of heater.

Do ensure you are coming from a ring. It is all to easy to end up with two radials instead of one ring so always test.

Also remember all new sockets must be RCD protected if under 20A if you already have RCD protection at consumer unit OK if not it at the moment should be fitted to every socket and buried cable. (This may change with amendment 1 of 17th Edition out soon).

But in general there is no problem in what you propose. Do remember you should fill in a minor works certificate. Electricians always inspect and test after the work and fill in paperwork mainly to protect them selves. Then if some one comes along latter and changes anything and there is an accident they can show it was all OK when they left it.

happyhacker
Tradesman
Tradesman

by happyhacker » Tue May 31, 2011 12:05 pm

Thanks ericmark for your advice. I will proceed as advised. My intention is to provide a socket outlet for the wm/c and a supply (other socket only allowed I presume) to a Dimplex economy unit feeding a wired timeswitch and then into the oil radiator.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:30 am