Electrics repairing a damaged cable
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Seraphim
Labourer
Labourer

Electrics repairing a damaged cable

by Seraphim » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:21 pm

My corgi reg central heating installer drilled throught the mains cable supplying sockets. He mended it with a plastic terminal box & wrapped tape around it & tucked it back in cavity between the wall blocks. Is this safe and does it comply with regs?
Seraphim

kuzz
Ganger
Ganger

by kuzz » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:20 pm

No. this is unacceptable. Get a spark in to do it properly. charge him if you can.

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:09 pm

Is it safe well yes unlikely to cause problems.
Does it follow regulations No would need crimped connection and proper cable joint.

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:01 am

A little more time now.
Regulation 526.3 say how one must be able to inspect cable joints except for special types which are (ii) A compound-filled or encapsulated joint (iv) A joint made by welding, soldering, brazing or appropriate compression tool. he has not followed either of these. 134.1.4, 421.7, 513.1, 526.5, 543.3.3 also refer to jointing of cables and he has not complied with any. I have used new edition of regulations but old ones say basally the same thing.
The problem is vibration and heating and cooling of the cable can cause the screws to become lose in time. Even crimping can cause problems but the encapsulated ensures no vibration and heat is effectively removed.
In real terms what he has done is common and it going wrong is rare but I do not see why you should be taking the risk. He will be insured and this sort of thing does happen. And this is why we are increasing the protection given to cables. The only problem you could have is if the cable was not where it should have been. It should run vertical or horizontal from the socket except if within 150mm from ceiling or corner.
As to calling out your own electrician I would have thought the Corgi installer should be contacted first maybe politely asking when the temporary repair was going be be done correctly.
You should receive paperwork within 30 days of completion under Part P as any central heating changes like adding a thermostat come under Part P there is a link to Part P under Projects and there is a down loadable document that explains it all plus it also links to other building regulations like Part M. But the socket will need testing and a Minor works cert raising and although Corgi do allow some self cert I would expect he would not have the test equipment and he will need an electrician to repair it for him.

Seraphim
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Electrics repairing a damaged cable

by Seraphim » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:04 pm

[quote="Seraphim"]My corgi reg central heating installer drilled throught the mains cable supplying sockets. He mended it with a plastic terminal box & wrapped tape around it & tucked it back in cavity between the wall blocks. Is this safe and does it comply with regs?
Seraphim[/quote]

Many thanks for replies. I connected Corgi installer & he swiftly got an electrician in. He said a crimped connector would be OK and did connection using three tiny plastic 3cms long 2 or 3mm diameter tube pieces and wrapped stretch rubberised tape around.Is this as good as a proper cable connector? Also can't see that this is accessible as it is tucked up above cupboard and behind wall blocks. He did not test sockets.
Seraphim

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:48 pm

132.13 Documentation for the electrical installation
every electrical installation shall be provided with appropriate documentation, including that required by Regulation 514.9. Part 6 and where applicable Part 7.
610.1 Every installation shall, during erection and on completion before being put into service, be inspected and tested to verify. so Far as is reasonably practicable. that the requirements of the Regulations have been met. Precautions shall be taken to avoid danger to persons and to avoid damage to property and installed equipment during inspection and testing.
If you go to Project and follow links to Part P you can down load the PDF version from gov web site. Page 33 shows you an example of a Minor Works Certificate. Part 3 shows the "Essential Tests" Which can't be completed without testing the socket.
I would think the repair is OK but like anyone else when an electrician has to sign paperwork to say he has tested something he is far more likely to test it correctly than if he has not got to write down what he has done. And of course a drill hit this cable and it could have pulled and tugged at some previous repair that you are unaware of and only by testing are you likely to find any faults of this nature.
But of course he could find something wrong which is your responsibility to repair but even if it does cost a little now thats better than any fire it may cause latter.
Others may think I am being pedantic on this and for such a small job it is not necessary to produce paperwork you could wait and see what other sparks say.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:19 pm