Electrics
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
steveag
Labourer
Labourer

Electrics

by steveag » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:25 pm

Hi
I'm looking to refit my bathroom in the near future including removing the existing light fitting & fitting 4 new downlighters wired from the original light fitting. The downlighters I have in mind are IP65 rated & the instructions say they have to be fitted with an R.C.D. My consumer unit has the shower, garage, kitchen sockets & all other sockets on an R.C.D but the lighting, on seperate switches for upstairs & downstairs, are not covered by the R.C.D.
Any advice on what needs to be done to fit these downlights would be much appreciated.

steveag

taurus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Electrics

by taurus » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:30 pm

[quote="steveag"]Hi
I'm looking to refit my bathroom in the near future including removing the existing light fitting & fitting 4 new downlighters wired from the original light fitting. The downlighters I have in mind are IP65 rated & the instructions say they have to be fitted with an R.C.D. My consumer unit has the shower, garage, kitchen sockets & all other sockets on an R.C.D but the lighting, on separate switches for upstairs & downstairs, are not covered by the R.C.D.
Any advice on what needs to be done to fit these downlights would be much appreciated.

steveag[/quote]hello steveag
first of all any work that involves electrics in the bathroom needs to be notified to local building control unless your work is like for like.has for your downlights being fitted on rcd usually you wouldn't have your lights on a rcd.because if your rcd tripped in the dark and you was in the bathroom you would be in a bit of a situation.also find out are the downlights double insulated because having them on a rcd would only detected a earth leakage fault not a short circuit fault . so i wouldn'nt put them on a rcd. consider getting a part p registered electrician in for your downlights.hope this has shed some light on question.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:40 pm

Hi steveag,
Don't know why RCD specified unless Spanish/Italian makes where all circuits use them, as we will have to as from next June.
If you want to comply with their recommendation easiest way is to fiy RCD Fused Connection Unit (spur) between original light wiring and wiring to new fittings which would be fairly easy if upstairs but difficult if bathroom downstairs, would also comment that wiring in bathrooms is Notifiable 'Part P' work & not legal DIY
regards SPARX

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:34 am