Eletrical wiring worries
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
BB71
Labourer
Labourer

Eletrical wiring worries

Post by BB71 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:23 am

As mentioned in a [url=https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21477]earlier post[/url] I have had a issue with spur & pole sockets warming up & one to the point of melting(spur) which were connected to some storage heaters. I put this down to a problem with the heaters but have since started having my doubts about the wiring as I noticed yesterday when unplugging the Oil Filled Plug in Radiator I'm using whilst my storage heaters are out of order the socket was also warm.

Any thoughts on what this is or is it normal as I'm becoming increasingly paranoid about electrics at the moment

(I have got a electrician booked to check them out on Saturday)

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:24 am

Overload will normally blow a fuse.
Overheating is normally due to bad connection.
On plugs and sockets once overheated it anneals the metal and means it grips less which means it has a bad connection so only cure is to change both plug and socket together.
The 13A plug is not really good enough since the safety plastic was added to pins to take 13A continuous. OK for washing machines, kettles etc. Which only have max load for short time but room heaters really need fused spur units.

The regulations require separate circuits for items over 2Kw which are not portable and although you can use plug and socket its not really a good idea.

BB71
Labourer
Labourer

Post by BB71 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:46 am

Thank You for your response I have since had a another electrician in who has checked the wiring & said it's fine, however he has also said that it is usual for the Pole Socket switch to generate a certain amount of warmth when the storage heater is drawing power is this correct ?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:44 am