emergency! water coming in through kitchen light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
shaziebabes
Labourer
Labourer

emergency! water coming in through kitchen light

by shaziebabes » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:07 pm

Hope some one can give me some advice .... woke up this morning and water was pouring through my kitchen flourescent light (heavy rain last night). I have a flat roof on the kitchen and it is obviously leaking. I have turned off the switch on the fuse box which controls my downstairs lights so now i only have the downstairs sockets in use . Is this safe enough? roofer coming out tomorrow and more rain due tonight but the electrics are my biggest concern...help!!!

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: emergency! water coming in through kitchen light

by ericmark » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:44 am

Likely sockets will be OK. However much depends on which version of the wiring regulations your house has been wired to. Over the years the IEE which then became IET who in 1992 joined with BSI to produce the books which electricians use to decide what is required in an electrical installation.

Today near all cables and devices are protected by a RCD which will normally detect any earth faults and auto disconnect the supply. But there is no need to up-grade to latest book which came out in 2008 although all new stuff should comply. So it is impossible to know which version your house is wired to so one can only guess as to what auto protection you have.

One big problem with electricity is when it follows the path made for it with the impurities in water it tends to burn slightly and produce a carbon track. Once this has happened it is very hard to remove and stop the leakage of power. So you need to allow everything time to dry before re-instating power. There are special meters to test the wiring and by using these it is relatively easy to check if there is any permanent damage. I would guess it is an insurance job so one would hope they would get an electrician to test all the affected installation.

So seems you have done right thing up to now. And really little we can do on a forum to help.

shaziebabes
Labourer
Labourer

Re: emergency! water coming in through kitchen light

by shaziebabes » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:59 pm

thanks for reply, I'm re-assured to know I have done the right thing. Water has stopped now as tarpaulin has been put over roof and in process of getting repaired. I'll get an electrician to check everything after roof done and get new light fitting put in

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:28 pm