Emptying just one radiator only, before removal.
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Stewart7
Apprentice
Apprentice

Emptying just one radiator only, before removal.

Post by Stewart7 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:09 pm

Can anyone help me with a replacement for a gadget I had many years ago? It was a small brass connector, used to connect a bicycle pump to the radiator bleed valve. It allowed you to pump the radiator full of air, forcing all the water back into the CH header tank. The rad could then be removed empty and lighter.
One end of the adapter was screwed inplace of the bleed screw, and the other took the short tube from the bicycle pump. It was only about 2" long, very cheap to buy, and extremely useful. I've lost mine and neither the internet or my local merchants have them.
Can anyone help?
Many thanks
Stewart

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Emptying just one radiator only, before removal.

Post by stoneyboy » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:09 pm

Hi stewart7
Never seen such an adaptor. You can always close both valves, slacken the valve connector at one end and drain into an aluminium tray - food trays are ideal because you can bend them round the pipe.
Regards S

Stewart7
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Stewart7 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:04 pm

Thanks stoneyboy
Looks as though its my only option. However, I read somewhere that double (convector) rads are a waste of money because the rear part sends heat into the wall, and the fins send hot air up to the ceiling. So I was going to experiment with pumping the rear part of one rad full of air and see if it makes any difference to the heat output.
Thanks
Stewart

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:32 pm

Hi stewart7
Not sure how you will achieve filling the rear panel with air but it will reduce the radiator output by about 1/3. Possibly better to fit a reflective foam liner on the wall.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1