emulsion paint cracking
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Geekneeus1
Labourer
Labourer

emulsion paint cracking

by Geekneeus1 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:20 pm

i have painted a wall with vinyl matt that has previously been painted with slik and it now has a cracked finish to it ( sort of like crackle glaze). I have skimmed the complete wall with a fine filler, sanded and re-painted but the same thing has happened again. Can any body please help?

reebok 1995
Apprentice
Apprentice

by reebok 1995 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:28 pm

are you sure it was vynil silk and not oil based egg shell if its oil the matt will not stick to it you could try using an acrylic primer crown paints do a good one .the only to be sure of no problem again is to put at least 1000 grade lining paper on make sure you sand the wall well to provide agood surface.its just like hanging good quality wallpaper.

darkan9el
Labourer
Labourer

by darkan9el » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:55 am

Hi the crazing can happen if you don't thin the emulsion down. Dulux emulsion in particular is terrible for this.

I don't like dulux paints anyway, they are overpriced and made too thick, I use Crown, Brolac or Macphersons. None of these emulsions require thinning down and they cover very well with two coats.

Its better to put on 3 thinner coats than one thick. for strong colours a flash coat is a good idea, this is a slightly thinned layer of emulsion, this acts like a primer, then you can put two coats on top for a solid cover.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:13 am