En-Suite
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kevm
Labourer
Labourer

En-Suite

by kevm » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:56 pm

I was planning to remove the soil pipe and cap it off at floor level. But after reading other people post's I have decided not to. While checking the soil pipe I have found a few things that I need answers for as I don't think that they are correct.
1.The soil pipe outlet end is in my loft
2. The end has what looks like a polystireen bung sat on the top.
3. The ceiling in the En-suite directly at the side of the pipe has black mould coming through the paint. This has been painted over twice and keeps coming through

Should the end be open in my loft,or have a bung sat in the top. What can be done to stop the mould on the ceiling coming through. The house is just over 10 years old would it possible to get the original builders back if this is wrong.

Stelf
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Stelf » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:44 pm

The soil pipe should be vented. You can get something which I believe is called a Durgo valve which fits on the end of the soil stack. This fitting lets air in but stops any smells coming out. Get rid of the polystyrene thingy whatever it may be as it looks like a bodge up to me. The other alternative is to extend the soil pipe through the roof which means you will need a fitting where it exits the roof tiles called a rubber flashing, used to be lead, but is now made in rubber. The pipe should also have an end terminal fitted to stop birds from attempting to nest in the pipe. This should all really be done by a professional, especially the through the roof bit. It may be that the lack of ventilation to the soil stack is causing condensation which is usually the cause of black mould. The mould needs to be killed off with an anti fungi wash, available at DIY shops.
Best wishes

Stelf
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Stelf » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:47 pm

Kev
PS. I doubt if you could get the original builders back as the house would be out of guarantee.

swidders
Ganger
Ganger

by swidders » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:43 pm

Stelf is right as usual. The Durgo valve can be bought from screwfix.com (item 22674: http://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=12 ... arch=22674 - push fit air admittance valve) as indeed can the roof slate (item 19121: http://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=12 ... arch=19121 - end ventilation slate).

The former you can fit yourself - worth a bit of washing up liquid to help slip it on if you don't want to buy silicon lubrication.

To have the soil pipe go throught the roof would cost more- although it's impossible to be sure since I don't know the layout/height of your house, but I'd guess about £150 for the labour seems about right.

kevm
Labourer
Labourer

En-Suite

by kevm » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:21 pm

Thanks !!!!!
I have an idea now what I need to do

Kevm

swidders
Ganger
Ganger

by swidders » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:24 pm

The mould is most likely caused by condensation - warm moist air meeting a cold pipe!

When you have killed off the mould, paint the area with a stain stop paint first - this should seal in any residue in the plaster.

To prevent this happening again, you may need to check that the extractor fan is working efficiently and increase the overrun time to help pull more moist air out of the room.

If still no joy, then the only thing I can think of is to make a small ventilation hole in the ceiling where the mould is occurring and cover it with a grill of some description to prevent dust falling down from above whilst making it a bit more aesthetically pleasing!

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:34 pm

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:22 pm