Engineered Oak Flooring on Concrete and Floorboard Ground Floor
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Iainsuv
Labourer
Labourer

Engineered Oak Flooring on Concrete and Floorboard Ground Floor

Post by Iainsuv » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:42 am

Hi there folks, been a long time lurker but now signed up as I need a little advise.

In my new house I will be laying an engineered oak flooring which will be glued down across all the down stairs which has 2 bases.
Most of the house is concrete with has very solid,original, thin and possibly asbestos tiles while the other half is floor boards.

Due to the possible asbestos I don't want to lift the tiles. They are very firmly fixed and removal would mean chipping it all up.

I'm assuming my best bet for a solid floor throughout would be to lay 18mm t&g chipboard??

If this is the best bet should I leave the chipboard floating and glue the flooring to the chipboard or should the chipboard also be fixed to the tiles/solid floor??

The floor isn't perfectly level, will the chipboard solve some of this problem or do I need to screed the floor first with some self level?

Thanks a lot for any advise you can offer :)

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Engineered Oak Flooring on Concrete and Floorboard Ground Floor

Post by welsh brickie » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:03 pm

you can fix wood battens 25mm x 50mm to the floor at 400mm centres and pack them, so they are level,and fix your floor to them

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:29 am