Engineered Wood on Concrete
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
billobach181
Ganger
Ganger

Engineered Wood on Concrete

by billobach181 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:35 am

I have a good quote from a flooring installer who came recommended. He is offering Engineered Wood 25 mm thick T&G with a 9mm wood layer. The floor is to be layed on a very good 25 year old concreted and screeded floor which has no experience of dampness and my installer tells me he does not need to use a damp membrane only Glue. What is an acceptible % dampness reading for the concrete without a damp membrane? Also I am reasonably sure that when the concrete floor was laid it was laid on a damp proof layer.
So what is the experts opinion on Glue Straight on to concrete in this case?
Finally, I have seen his work at a friend's house and it is very,very good.
Regards
Bill

Tall Tone
Ganger
Ganger

by Tall Tone » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:02 am

Hi there.
I would always suggest taking moisture measurements as floors that can look dry may have problems. I have seen many floors where the contractor thought the floor was dry and the wood has a moisture reading of 8-10% on the top and 18+% underneath and the floor is now 100mm off the ground.
Check out f Ball on the web for their moisture meters. To answer your question about an acceptable damp reading, I am affraid it depends upon the way you check.
A DPM for most floors will cost around £1-200 but could save much more than that.
Regards
TT

billobach181
Ganger
Ganger

by billobach181 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:41 pm

Many thanks
Regards
Bill

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:59 pm