Entrance Lobby Pitched Roof Leaking in Edwardian Downstairs Flat
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
bowcreek
Labourer
Labourer

Entrance Lobby Pitched Roof Leaking in Edwardian Downstairs Flat

Post by bowcreek » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:56 pm

Dear members,

We have a small pitched roof to provide access to downstairs flat converted in an Edwardian building, which we moved into few months back. I've attached some photos for easy reference of the problem. Bit of description in order marked in pictures

Leak area 1. Both roofers said, there is like a missing line of tiles which should have really been there Some repair with mortar seem evident which indicates attempt to rectify the problem previously.

Leak area 2. Roofer B lifted the tiles just above the gutter run under which the leak near window comes in and I could clearly see 2 big holes /sagged felt. Says it happened because the main leak at point 1 above is root cause of problem, which lets the water under the tiles go in which then dribbles over the felt to the lower section and leaks in the holes/sagged section of felt near the leaky window. Some damage to the timber battons near window and fascia board was also evident as you can see. Roofer A only suspected that to be the case though said chances are high that's happening, so will see when he does the work for problem around window and replace path of felt if that's what it is.

Roofer A asked £250 for fixing root cause area (1) of missing / mortared tiles and broken run of gutter and fixing the patch of felt which can be seen damaged near the window. whist roofer B said £400. Fascia board can do with some wood preserver and repainting after fixing the main issue they said.

For more through job of stripping up whole roof and replacing al the felt between 2 ridges and possibly replace worn out battons etc (I assume), roofer A said £1400 and B said £1000.

I'm in Sutton, Greater London. Are the prices reasonable? Is there anything I can do as DIY to try and fix the root cause number 1 myself before I go pro route?

Please let me know if you need more pictures. I can't understand how water sinks in via that section but that's where we can see some attempt of repair etc.

Thanks in advance.

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:24 am