Epoxy Resin Adhesives as an Alternative to Araldite or Hard & Fast
Fillers, sealants and adhesives for all types of DIY work. Help, advice and information on all aspects of this subject

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pete39
Apprentice
Apprentice

Epoxy Resin Adhesives as an Alternative to Araldite or Hard & Fast

by pete39 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:59 pm

I find Araldite (both Types) are not working like they used to many, many years ago.
It is not rock hard and it’s absorbent, the same applies to Hard & Fast metal putty that I have also tried.

I had to stick a broken bit back on a china teapot lid, after a while both the above hardeners turned brown with tea stain, not surface stain but an absorbed stain.
My first attempt with fast Araldite broke off, the second attempt with Hard & Fast also stained but it’s still stuck fast.
I also used Hard & Fast on a plastic moulding without a problem but this time hard and non-absorbent.

Can anybody recommend alternatives to Araldite and Hard & Fast type adhesives that are rock hard and mouldable?

pete39
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Epoxy Resin Adhesives as an Alternative to Araldite or Hard & Fast

by pete39 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:35 am

My original post above this one was incorrect and as I couldn’t see a way of deleting or editing it I therefor had to post again,

I find Araldite (both Types) are not working like they used to many, many years ago.
It is not rock hard and it’s absorbent, the same applies to 151 Epoxy Adhesive that I have also tried.

I had to stick a broken bit back on a china teapot lid, after a while both the above adhesives turned brown with tea stain, not surface stain but an absorbed stain.
My first attempt with Rapid Araldite broke off, the second attempt with 151 Epoxy Adhesive also stained and has just broken off this morning.

Can anybody recommend alternatives to Araldite and 151 Epoxy Adhesive that are rock hard and can be moulded?

woolyhead
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Epoxy Resin Adhesives as an Alternative to Araldite or Hard & Fast

by woolyhead » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:52 pm

For a selection of different epoxy adhesives try UKMS Adhesives. They have adhesives for virtually every job. Some of them only come in 400 ml packs however, but try them and see. There is a hybrid superglue / epoxy available on the market too. It's called System Eleven six pack and looks promising. If you manage to find a stockist will you please let me know.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:38 pm